Saturday, December 3, 2011

Right Wing Skeleton

Okay, it's been a while since I've posted.  Work has progressed to the wings.  I finished the flaps and the ailerons, and now I"m working on the wing skeleton.


I'm working in the garage in December in Minnesota, so it gets a little chilly and I have to keep the place heated.
The ribs come pre-formed in the kit, and that is nice.  The main spar (on the right) is fully pre-formed, and corresponds to the new "B" series reinforcements.  It's so pretty I didn't want to drill any holes in it.  Also, things get pretty tight in the corners, especially where the nose ribs are attached.  I decided to go with a McMaster Carr right angle drill attachment on my Sioux air drill to get in there.  Lots of clamping, cutting, and fitting of the nose ribs, along with some careful additional joggling of the ribs to get them to fit.  The rear ribs come pre-joggled, but I think it's for the earlier main spar.  They didn't quite fit, and I used the dimpling tool to increase the joggle.  I considered cutting off the corners of the ribs; That's what Zenith recommended on their upgrade videos.  But I figured leaving the metal has to make it a little stronger.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home