Sunday, December 11, 2011

Top Rear Skin, Right Wing

It's starting to look like a wing.  I almost didn't want to start drilling it, because the smooth skins are so pretty.  Just like the directions say, if I tilt the main spar 9 degrees and level it, the rear spar should be level as well.  I took some time to make sure these were both true, then I positioned the skin to line up the rib flange centerlines  with the holes in the skin.  I held it in place with duct tape.


I started drilling and clecoing from the middle of the rear and worked my way out towards the sides.  I used clamps and duct tape to make sure the aft edge of the skin was flush with the back of the rear spar upper channel.
It's a great feeling when the black line shows through the pre-drilled holes - it makes me feel confident I have the wing lined up with the proper twist.  Then I took the obligatory picture through the lightening holes:

My son helped me flip it over, and the I set the 9 degree angle and leveled the main and rear spars.  Next comes the L angles reinforcing the top skin, and the bottom rear skin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home